Original Webcast Date
Wednesday 24th March 2021
We joined Jake DeKinder and discussed how to design an investment strategy that would help the planet without shortchanging your portfolio.
Over the past several years, the idea of an investment strategy designed to promote a healthy planet has moved from being a niche project into the investing mainstream. But what exactly does “sustainable investing” mean? How should one measure results? And (how) can we meet environmental goals without compromising fundamentals of prudent – and successful – investment practices?
Jake DeKinder, Head of Advisor Communication at Dimensional Fund Advisors, talked about DFA’s success with real world portfolios that promote environmentally beneficial outcomes. Some of the questions he addressed were:
- How can we align our desire to help the environment with investment fundamentals?
- What are the three components of “ESG,” and how do they relate to sustainability?
- Do I need to sacrifice investment performance to invest in more sustainable companies?
- What metrics should we use to identify the least and most sustainable companies?
- How should we measure the results of sustainable investment strategies?
- How do large investment managers like Dimensional Fund Advisors incorporate sustainability into their stock and bond mutual funds?
As Head of Client Communication at Dimensional Fund Advisors, Jake DeKinder helps develop the messaging and communication strategy for the global client group. In this role, he interacts closely with clients and advisors to understand their needs and challenges and best align the resources of Dimensional to produce content and materials that will support advisors in their business. A CFA Charterholder, Jake earned his MBA and MPA from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin and his BBA from the Goizueta Business School at Emory University.
This event and all content presented is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to provide specific tax, financial, or investment advice. The hosting of this event by Griffin Black, Inc. should not be construed by any client, consumer and/or prospective client as an offer to sell securities or render personalized investment advice.
Please do not use or rely on this event or its content as a substitute for the expertise and judgment of a tax professional or financial planner. For tax advice and implementation services, consult your own financial advisor or other financial professional.